Re: Hana Choi - @therealhana

Unread post by CaptainL »

Ichi
The Killer

Unread post by Ichi »

@CaptainL

Translation/Explanation
This is a pun on Hana's name. "Hana", or "하나", means "one" (as in the number one) in Korean. "최" is "Choi" in Korean. So what Méi said translates to "One (Hana/hana/하나) Choi, two (dul/둘) Choi, three (ses/셋) Choi!"
Last edited by Ichi on Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ichi's Killers (Roster) | Killer Requests (Requests) |
  • My username "Ichi" and the "killer" motif come from "Ichi the Killer", a manga/movie. I do not have an obsession with killing.

CaptainL
Legend

Ichi
The Killer

Unread post by Ichi »

@CaptainL

Translation/Explanation
"김밥 불고기 물고기 생선 선생" can be romanized as "gimbab bulgogi mulgogi saengseon seonsaeng". "김밥"/"gimbab" is a type of food that can be roughly described as "Korean sushi". "불고기"/"bulgogi" is a type of marinated beef. "물고기"/"mulgogi" means fish (more specifically the live animal) and it rhymes with "불고기"/"bulgogi". "생선"/"saengseon" means fish (more specifically fish meat that you eat). "물고기"/"mulgogi" and "생선"/"saengseon" are related in that they both mean "fish", albeit in different senses. "선생"/"seonsaeng" means teacher. "생선"/"saengseon" and "선생"/"seonsaeng" are related because if you flip the syllables of one, you get the other.

Méi is essentially leaving it up to the reader to speculate about what she said, since most people do not understand Korean and would not immediately realize that the sentence is nonsensical.
Last edited by Ichi on Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

• My username "Ichi" and the "killer" motif come from "Ichi the Killer", a manga/movie. I do not have an obsession with killing.

Ichi
The Killer

Unread post by Ichi »

@CaptainL

Translation/Explanation
"최의 엄마님 = 18년" can be romanized as "choeui eommanim = 18nyeon". It roughly translates to "Choi's mother = fucking bitch" or "Choi's mother is a fucking bitch".

In "최의"/"choeui", "최"/"Choi" means "Choi" as in Hana Choi, and "의"/"ui" is a possesive tag which makes the "최"/"Choi" possessive. Therefore, "최의"/"choeui" means "Choi's". "엄마님"/"eommanim" means mother. The "엄마"/"eomma" means "mom" and the "님"/"nim" suffix is an honorific. Thus, "엄마님"/"eommanim" is a more formal way of saying "mom", hence it can be translated as "mother".

The "18" part requires some explanation. First off, one way of saying the number 18 is "십팔"/"sibpal". The "십"/"sib" denotes the number ten and the "팔"/"pal" denotes the number eight. It turns out that "십팔"/"sibpal" sounds similar to "씨발"/"ssibal", which is the word for "fuck". As a result of this similarity, "18" is often used as an abbreviation for "fuck" in Korean.

Therefore, the "18년" can be interpreted as "씨발년"/"ssibalnyeon". Now, while "년"/"nyeon" can mean "year", in this context, it does not. Instead, the "년"/"nyeon" is actually a rude way of referring to a woman here, and is roughly equivalent to "bitch". Therefore, since "씨발"/"ssibal" is the word for "fuck" and "년"/"nyeon" roughly means "bitch", "씨발년"/"ssibalnyeon" can be roughly translated as "fucking bitch". This means that "18년" can be interpreted as meaning "fucking bitch".

Putting it all together, the "최의 엄마님"/"choeui eommanim" part means "Choi's mother". The "=" can be interpreted as "is a". And the "18년" can be interpreted as "fucking bitch". Therefore, "최의 엄마님 = 18년" roughly translates to "Choi's mother is a fucking bitch".
Last edited by Ichi on Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainL
Legend

Ichi
The Killer

Unread post by Ichi »

CaptainL
Legend

Note for people who haven't finished Squid Game
Don't worry, this isn't a real spoiler. Hana is trolling.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “LAW Twitter”